Enjoy this hot 'tomato saar' on a rainy day.. 'Tomato saar' is similar to tomato soup, but the only difference is we use tempering in 'tomato saar'. It is commonly done on many festivals in Maharashtra. This is my treat to my family on a nice rainy day!!
Red tomatoes 4 large
hing 1/4 tsp
cumin seeds 1tsp
curry leaves 4-5 (for tempering)
garlic cloves 2-3
green chilies 2
salt as per to taste
sugar 1 tsp
turmeric powder 1 tsp
coconut milk 4-5 tbs
chopped coriander leaves for garnish (as required)
1. Boil tomatoes till soft.Remove the skin and puree tomatoes in a grinder.
2. Add water to this puree as per the desired consistency. Add salt and sugar and let it boil over medium heat. 'Tomato saar' is almost ready. (Tempering needs to be done separately)
3. Make a paste of green chilies, garlic and ginger. Add it to the 'Tomato Saar' as per your taste. If you want to make the 'saar' spicy, add more of the paste.
4. For tempering, heat a small pan. Add 2-3 tsp ghee. When the ghee is heated, add cumin seeds, hing, turmeric powder , curry leaves. Add coconut milk and stir well.
5. When 'tomato saar' starts boiling, pour the hot tempering over it. Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Garnish with lots of coriander leaves and serve hot with rice. Goes well with parathas. Can be served as soup too!
Serves- 4 ppl